Energy – Oil & Gas
Our clients in the dynamic oil and gas industry are faced with many challenges and business issues as the industry constantly evolves.
We support them with deep experience in all types of oil and gas matters—from complex transactions to dispute resolutions. As their business partners, we offer sound counsel and cost-effective solutions that support their business goals. Several of our attorneys have worked in-house for oil and gas companies and have deep industry knowledge to provide value-driven solutions to complex problems and disputes.
Some of our work includes:
- Strategic planning and capital formation processes
- Complex merger and acquisition transactions
- Corporate debt restructuring
- Environmental litigation
- Onshore/offshore matters
- Contract negotiations
- Real estate transactions
- Trade secret and partnership disputes
- Non-compete and other employment-related matters
- Representation of United Kingdom-based companies in Texas
Recent Oil & Gas Representative Matters
- Defending oilfield inspection company in an FLSA overtime lawsuit relating to the classification of its inspectors as exempt employees.
- Represented oilfield equipment rental company in FLSA lawsuit alleging the company’s practice of paying its operator employees a salary plus a day rate and bonus failed to properly compensate non-exempt employees for overtime hours worked.
- Obtained judgment of more than $9 million on behalf of entrepreneurs related to the sale of their valve company to a New York-based private equity firm. After the sale, the buyer asserted indemnification claims against the entrepreneurs based on pre-sale representations allegedly made by the entrepreneurs. In doing so, the buyer sought to avoid paying the bulk of the purchase price for the entrepreneurs’ company. On competing summary judgment motions, the New York Supreme Court – Commercial Division rejected the buyer’s claims (including claims for fraud, breach of contract, indemnification, and set-off) and granted the entrepreneurs’ affirmative claims for breach of the various promissory notes at issue. The New York Court also awarded attorney’s fees to the entrepreneurs.
- Represented an oil and gas processing company in the sale of 44 acres of property along with related operating assets in Baytown, Texas, to a newly-formed portfolio company focused on purchasing and developing refined-products logistics and processing assets.
- Represented a global downhole well intervention company in suit filed by drilling company after drilling tools became stuck in well. Drilling company sought damages for recovery expenses, contractual damages and lost revenue based on the allegation that client’s tool malfunctioned and caused the incident. Obtained a favorable settlement in which plaintiff dismissed its suit and client paid no damages.