Our team has extensive experience helping insurance agencies build and maintain the value of their businesses, especially in times of transition or sale.
We represent agents, brokers and owners in analyzing their business and developing strategies to secure its future value and growth.
Some of our experience includes:
- Development of non-piracy agreements
- Sophisticated transactions
- Recruitment and compensation programs
- Contract negotiations
- Mergers and acquisitions
Recent Insurance Agencies Representative Matters
- Pursuing claims on behalf of a Texas-geoscience company against a crime insurance policy carrier. A former employee defrauded the company by stealing more than $2 million worth of iPhones and Blackberries. The carrier denied coverage under a commercial crime policy.
- Won a unanimous jury verdict for one of Houston’s oldest title insurance agencies in a dispute with its landlord for breaching an exclusive use clause in the client’s lease. After a week in trial, the jury awarded the client a judgment for its damages, including attorney’s fees.
- Represented Insurance Alliance and its shareholders in connection with the sale of the company to Marsh & McLennan Agency LLC. At the time of the acquisition, which closed in November, 2009, Insurance Alliance was one of the largest independent insurance agencies in Texas. The firm also assisted the shareholders in connection with their employment and producer agreements with the company. BoyarMiller first represented Insurance Alliance in connection with its initial formation in 1992, as a consolidation of four leading Houston independent agencies, and worked with the company from the 1990s through the recent sale.
- Represented GEM Insurance Agencies, a 60 year old Houston-based insurance agency, in connection with the sale of the business to BancorpSouth Insurance Services, Inc., based out of Tupelo, Mississippi.
- Represented a Texas-based insurance company in connection with the $27 million sale of substantially all of the assets of the business to a subsidiary of a NYSE-listed multi-billion dollar financial holding company.