Prosecuting and defending the full range of business disputes for today’s complex business environment.
Our trial and appellate team begins by understanding our clients’ objectives. Then we develop an effective strategy to position a case for trial and to achieve the desired outcome. Our litigation capabilities are broad and our clients are diverse, including business entrepreneurs, real estate developers, lending institutions and public and private companies.
Our litigation experience encompasses prosecuting and defending the full range of business disputes including:
- Antitrust & Non-Compete Disputes
- Business Torts
- Civil RICO
- Contractual Disputes
- Corporate Governance Disputes
- Fiduciary Duty Claims
- Lender Liability
- Oil & Gas Litigation
- Partnership & Corporate Disputes
- Securities Fraud
- Shareholder & Derivative Suits
- Intellctual Property, Trade Secrets & Trademark Disputes
Recent Business Litigation Representative Matters
- Obtained judgment of more than $9 million on behalf of entrepreneurs related to the sale of their valve company to a New York-based private equity firm. After the sale, the buyer asserted indemnification claims against the entrepreneurs based on pre-sale representations allegedly made by the entrepreneurs. In doing so, the buyer sought to avoid paying the bulk of the purchase price for the entrepreneurs’ company. On competing summary judgment motions, the New York Supreme Court – Commercial Division rejected the buyer’s claims (including claims for fraud, breach of contract, indemnification, and set-off) and granted the entrepreneurs’ affirmative claims for breach of the various promissory notes at issue. The New York Court also awarded attorney’s fees to the entrepreneurs.
- Representing the owner of two retail stores in a dispute with an international textile distributor. The textile distributor has claimed a partnership interest in the retail stores and has sued for damages for alleged breach of contract and various business-related torts.
- Obtained an emergency motion for protection in federal court on behalf of a non-party where non-party had been subpoenaed to produce voluminous records and communications between the non-party and the non-party’s former and present clients. The emergency relief obtained completely relieved the non-party’s clients from complying with the subpoenas.
- Representing a manufacturer of separation products installed in process units against claims made by a multi-national chemical manufacturing corporation seeking damages exceeding $10 million relating to alleged defects in design of the products and failures of the products installed.
- Represented a refinery service contractor in a multi-million dollar lawsuit involving claims arising out of the refinery’s refusal to pay for services and counterclaims by the refinery relating to alleged breaches of safety procedures. Within five months of filing lawsuit and shortly after the filing of a pre-discovery, summary judgment motion asserting immediate right to payment, the matter was successfully resolved.
Litigation Group Contact
- Firm Chairman
- E-mail Chris