Of Counsel, Litigation Group
Stacy Stanley Russell
Stacy Stanley Russell joined BoyarMiller’s Litigation Group in July 2018. Stacy has been practicing law for over twenty years. Most recently, Stacy was Managing Counsel for Halliburton’s worldwide disputes/litigation group and health, safety and environment group. As a native Texan, who has practiced in Houston and nationwide, Stacy has particular expertise in the oil and gas industry.
In all litigation endeavors in her new position, Stacy strives to embody the mission of BoyarMiller: to provide counsel beyond expectations, build lasting relationships and make a meaningful difference in people’s lives.
Areas of Focus
- Pre-Litigation Counseling and Resolution
- Commercial Litigation
- Corporate Business Disputes
- Energy Litigation
- Employment Litigation
- Counseling on Health, Safety and Environmental issues
- Construction Litigation and Arbitration
- Texas Bar Foundation Fellow
- Houston Food Bank, Volunteer
Stacy has been practicing law for over twenty years. Most recently, Stacy was Managing Counsel for Halliburton’s worldwide disputes/litigation group and health, safety and environment group.
Stacy’s background offers a unique understanding of the challenges facing in-house counsel, including the demands to achieve success within budget and with minimal disruption to the impacted business unit. During her tenure with Halliburton, Stacy led the company’s global litigation group. In this role, Stacy was responsible for developing and managing the company’s dispute resolution strategy, including managing pre-litigation disputes, active court and arbitration proceedings, advising C-level executives on crisis, risk and going- forward options, developing budgets and retaining and managing outside counsel.
Stacy also led Halliburton’s team of health, safety and environmental attorneys. Stacy provided advice and management of all environmental and regulatory issues including water, air, OSHA, and regulatory issues.
During her tenure in private practice, Stacy tried jury cases in state and federal courts and arbitrations through hearing to final judgment. Her areas of expertise include pre-litigation resolution, complex business disputes, including all manner of contract and business torts, alleged securities violations, trade secret allegations, labor and employment issues, construction failures, intellectual property claims, FCPA violations and internal investigations.
Stacy also advises companies on environmental litigation and regulatory issues including OSHA, health and safety, contaminated site clean-up, and civil enforcement.
As a native Texan, who has practiced in Houston and nationwide, Stacy has particular expertise in the oil and gas industry. Stacy presents on a variety of topics in the oil and gas industry.
- JD, University of Houston Law Center, cum laude
- BA, University of Texas at Austin
- Halliburton in affiliation with Texas A&M University: President’s Leadership Excellence Program, Graduate
- Boston University, Mini MBA for In-House Counsel
- Texas Bar Foundation Fellow
- Houston Food Bank, Volunteer
- Theatre Under the Stars, Former Member of Board
- Gulf of Mexico Offshore Blowout: Assisted in managing one of the most significant litigation matters in US History related to a Gulf of Mexico offshore blowout with massive resulting pollution liability. Assisted in managing corresponding regulatory actions and proceedings, personal injury matters and litigation and strategy.
- Securities Class Action Lawsuit: Assisted in managing long running securities lawsuit that went to the U.S. Supreme Court twice related to asbestos liability disclosures.
- Alleged Water Contamination Lawsuit and Corresponding Regulatory Action: Managed hundreds of plaintiffs’ lawsuits regarding a large alleged perchlorate site in Oklahoma. Managed corresponding remediation plan before Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality.
- Online Travel Company: Represented a leading online travel company nationwide in lawsuits in over 30 state and federal courts in actions alleging various deceptive trade practices and tax claims in the collection of hotel taxes and fees.
- Four week jury trial in Western District Federal Court (San Antonio). Jury returned a verdict on one claim in favor of plaintiffs and one claim in favor of our clients.
- Three week jury trial in Harris County, Texas representing an individual in a theft of trade secrets case in Harris County, Texas state court.
- PG&E Corporation: Represented PG&E Corporation in complex litigation arising out of the California energy crisis, including the trial work seeking to confirm Pacific Gas and Electric Company’s plan of reorganization. Counsel for federal court litigation in People of the State of California ex rel. Bill Lockyer, Attorney General of the State of California, et al. v. PG&E Corporation, et al. Responsible for all briefing at district and appellate court levels.
- Represented individuals and companies in employment litigation.
- Represented individual in bankruptcy court adversary proceeding in the Southern District of Texas on fraudulent transfer and other civil claims.
- Represented a confidential client in fulfillment of their duties under ERISA duties in securities fraud class action settlements.
- Deutsche Bank tax-related litigation: Assisted in representing Deutsche Bank in multiple lawsuits pending in state and federal court throughout Texas and the Southwest.
- Adelphia Communications Corp. v. John J. Rigas, Timothy Rigas, Michael Rigas, James Rigas, et al.: Assisted in representing the Rigas family in all facets of civil litigation in connection with Adelphia Communications Corp., including more than 60 securities fraud lawsuits, numerous RICO lawsuits and adversary proceedings in bankruptcy court.
- U.S. Contractors v. Parsons/Technip: Assisted in representing U.S. Contractors to a three person arbitration panel in April 2004, receiving a judgment of more than $4 million, including attorney’s fees. Parsons/Technip’s counterclaims of more than $5.8 million were dismissed in their entirety and counsel for Parsons/Technip received no recovery of attorney’s fees.
- Internal Investigations: Performed internal investigations of private and public companies on a variety of issues.