Shareholder, Business Group
Blake D. Royal
Blake Royal joined the Business Group in September 2007 after participating in the firm’s Summer Associate Program. Since joining the firm, he has been involved in a variety of real estate and corporate transactions.
Areas of Focus
- Commercial real estate
- Mergers & acquisitions
- Capital formation, strategy & structure
- Corporate & real estate financing
- Texas Bar Foundation
- Graduate of Baylor University and the University of Texas Law School
- Urban Land Institute
Awards & Recognitions
- Texas Super Lawyers Rising Stars (2014-2018)
Blake Royal joined the Business Group in September 2007 after participating in the firm's Summer Associate Program. Since joining the firm, he has been involved in a variety of real estate and corporate transactions.
Blake's interest in property issues began in college while working for the House of Representatives, where he researched public-private partnership investment for the renovation of underutilized federal buildings. During law school he researched and worked on the development of commercial and residential projects in tax-increment finance zones.
- JD, University of Texas (with honors)
- BA, Baylor University (magna cum laude)
- Houston Bar Association, Real Estate Section, Mergers & Acquisitions Section
- Texas Bar Association
- Urban Land Institute
Blake is a fourth-generation Texan and looks forward to being involved in the Houston community for years to come.
Capital Formation/Private Placement
- Represented a Houston-based software developer in capital formation and general contract negotiations.
- Represented a commercial retail developer in formation and capitalization of multiple joint ventures.
- Represented an enhanced oil recovery technology company in connection with private equity investments and capital formation.
- Represented a Houston-based company in connection with private equity investments for the production of a nationally televised PBS television series.
- Represented a water desalination development company in the reorganization of its corporate structure, including a $250 million capital infusion by international equity investors.
- Represented a national retailer in connection with a $280 million credit facility secured by borrower-owned locations.
- Represented a Houston-based general contractor in capital formation and senior debt facilities.
- Represented a traffic systems company in connection with a $55 million syndicated credit facility.
- Represented a Texas-based mezzanine financing fund in the corporate restructuring of its portfolio company which included amended senior and subordinated debt facilities and the purchase and financing of mobile servicing oil rigs.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Represented the owner and operator of bulk storage facilities in the acquisition of a 430,000 barrel storage facility and terminal and the acquisition of approximately 220 acres of undeveloped real property for future development.
- Represented a Houston-based restauranteur in the strategic acquisition of a café and bakery concept.
- Represented the portfolio company of a national private equity fund in the strategic acquisition of several manufacturers of drilling tools and perforation equipment.
- Represented a Midland, Texas-based company in the sale of their minority interest in an international pipeline composite liner manufacturer.
- Represented a private company in its acquisition of an oil and gas services company.
- Represented a nonprofit hospital system in the sale of two multi-building hospital facilities and related medical office buildings in the Rio Grande Valley.
- Represented a national fiberglass products manufacturer in a variety of transactions, including the strategic acquisition of a Montana-based fiberglass products manufacturer and related acquisition financing and the later corporate reorganization and capital infusion by a private equity group.
- Represented the shareholders of a Houston-based international supply company to the oil and gas industry in connection with the sale of their shares to a New York-based private equity group for approximately $28 million, including equity interests in the acquiring company.
- Represented a Houston-based hydraulic generator manufacturer in the sale of its equity interests to a private equity group for approximately $10 million, including equity interests in the acquiring company.
- Represented Managed Pressure Operations, a developer of next generation technology for offshore managed pressure drilling systems for the oil and gas industry with subsidiaries in Houston, Singapore, Jakarta and Dubai, in the reorganization of its capital structure, including a $15 million capital infusion by a private equity group and its later acquisition by an affiliate of Aker Solutions.
Private Equity/Venture Capital
- Representation of a Texas-based 24-hour emergency medical care company in connection with a private equity investment by Austin Ventures and the development of joint ventures with non-profit hospital systems in San Antonio, Dallas Ft. Worth and Austin, Texas and Denver, Colorado for the development of 20+ micro-hospitals
- Represented Blackhawk Specialty Tools, LLC, an oilfield services company headquartered in Houma, Louisiana, in connection with a private equity investment made by Rock Hill Capital Group.
Public & Public/Private Partnership Projects
- Represented non-profit developer in development agreement and long term ground lease with City of Houston for development of Midtown Arts and Theater Center Houston (“MATCH”), a 1-block theater and flex space facility for visual and performing arts, and related office and rehearsal space for rent to emerging non-profit arts groups, including a multi-year grant agreement with Houston First Corporation, tax rebate agreement with City of Houston and adjacent for-profit developer, long-term parking easement in adjacent developer’s parking garage, and representation on construction contract issues.
- Represented the City of Austin in the acquisition of a golf course for municipal use.
- Represented Midway in a collaborative partnership with Texas A&M University, among others, in connection with the financing, development and pre-leasing of phase one of an approximately 60 acre multi-phase mixed-use project in College Station, Texas known as Century Square, which, once complete, will include two full-service hotels, office, retail, restaurants, entertainment, loft apartments and more.
- Represented the Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County, Texas (METRO) in the acquisitions of right-of-ways along light rail routes and in the sale of right-of-ways along the Westpark Tollway corridor to the Fort Bend County Toll Road Authority
- Represented The Nature Conservancy and City of Austin in connection with the acquisition of over 2000 acres of land and conservation easements for open space preservation and water quality protection in ecologically sensitive Barton Creek watershed area.
- Represented Kirby Grove Lofts Venture, LLC, an affiliate of Midway, in the refinancing of the Avenue Grove multifamily development. The Lender was Wells Fargo.
- Represented Elite Street Capital Waterstone Equity DE, LLC, in a debt refinance of apartments in Baltimore County, Maryland. The Lender was The Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation (Freddie Mac) and the Loan Servicer was Greystone Servicing Company, LLC.
- Represented Midway in the refinancing of their construction loan into permanent financing for the 100 Park multifamily development at Century Square in College Station, Texas.
- Represented the buyer of a privately-owned golf course in Austin County, Texas.
- Represented the borrower in a $65 million refinancing of the retail component of a mixed-used development.
- Represented the developer in the acquisition and development of a multi-building industrial business park, including a multi-building lease with an international chemical manufacturing company.
- Represented an international plastics and chemicals manufacturer and distributor in the acquisition, lease and rail service of a build-to-suit, rail-served industrial distribution center.
- Represented the purchaser of waterfront property adjacent to the Port of Texas City from a subsidiary of Dow Corning.
- Representation of a developer and operator of multi-unit Alzheimer’s residential facilities
- Representation of the developer of a multi-phase, mixed-use, urban infill development in the negotiation of the underlying development services agreement and the negotiation of a long-term lease agreement with a regional grocer as the key tenant for the first phase.
- Represented various landlords and real estate developers in the negotiation of office and retail leases with national chains and local tenants.
- Represented the developer of a luxury hotel in downtown Houston in the acquisition and development of the property, including capital formation and construction financing.
- Preparation of condominium declaration and related governance documents for mixed-use condominium project in the City of Houston, Texas.
- Represented a Houston-based real estate industrial acquisition and development company in connection with various build-to-suit industrial developments nationwide, including acquisition, disposition and capital formation.
- Represented a major regional health care system in the disposition of a 138-unit retirement and health care center.
- Represented the purchaser of an approximately 55,000 square foot, single-tenant facility located within the Tuscany Technology Center, a 600,000 square-foot multi-building office and industrial park development in northeast Austin, Texas.
- Represented the developer of master-planned communities in the sale of retail parcels to a national retail developer.
- Represented the seller of a pair of Class A office buildings with approximately 200,000 total square feet to a national real estate investment fund.
- Represented a developer in connection with the acquisition of raw land and development of stand-alone acute and emergency care medical facilities throughout Texas.
- Represented the purchaser of a multi-tenant retail center located in the Energy Corridor, Houston, Texas.
- Represented a large residential developer in the sale of approximately 45 acres for retail development at the intersection of Grand Parkway and Westpark Tollway.
- Represented Midway in the financing and development of office, retail and multifamly projects related to the revitalization of Levy Park in the Upper Kirby area of Houston.
- Represented TGS Cedar Port Partners, L.P. in connection with the acquisition of the largest industrial park in the greater Houston market, comprising of approximately 10,600 acres of unimproved land, a 300,000 square-foot rail-served warehouse on approximately 18 acres of land, and approximately 56 miles of rail and associated storage yards, switches and appurtenances.
Texas Super Lawyers Selects Five BoyarMiller Attorneys as 2019 Rising Stars
Houston Evolves as a Gateway Market and Regional Industrial Hub; Real Estate Experts at BoyarMiller Forum Cite Changes in Consumer Behavior, Mobility as Key Future Issues
BoyarMiller Attorneys Selected to 2018 Texas Super Lawyers and Texas Rising Stars Lists
Three BoyarMiller Attorneys Selected to 2018 Texas Rising Stars List
Available Capital, Market Growth Boost Houston’s Commercial Real Estate Industry; Experts at BoyarMiller Real Estate Forum Reflect Optimism
Midway’s Buffalo Heights Development Included in HBJ’s 2017 Deals of the Year: Commercial Real Estate
BoyarMiller Secures Financing for Pontikes Development’s New Port 10 Logistics Center near Port Houston in Baytown
Clients Honor BoyarMiller in BTI Power Rankings 2017 Independent Report; Cites Firm as Having “Strongest Client Relationships” in Energy Industry, Again
BoyarMiller Represented Oiltanking in Texas City Land Acquisition Deal
Texas Super Lawyers selects six BoyarMiller attorneys as 2017 Rising Stars
Experts Share Market Perspectives at BoyarMiller Real Estate Forum: Retail and Industrial Sectors Drive Houston’s Commercial Real Estate Activity as Office Market Suffers High Vacancy Rate
BTI Power Rankings 2016 Names BoyarMiller as a “go to” Firm for Clients in the Energy Industy
Strong Demand, Excess Capacity Fuels Uncertainty in Oil and Gas Industry Cites Expert Panel at BoyarMiller Energy Forum
Attorney Blake Royal Elected Fellow by Texas Bar Foundation
Houston Real Estate Market Takes a Healthy Pause as Industrial, Retail Sectors Shine – Say Experts at BoyarMiller Annual Real Estate Forum
BoyarMiller Announces Election of Two Shareholders
Houston’s Commercial Real Estate Market Should Weather Declining Oil Prices Say Experts at BoyarMiller Real Estate Forum
GulfStar Group Announces The Majority Recapitalization of L.F. Manufacturing, Inc. by Dos Rios Partners, L.P.
BoyarMiller Promotes Two Attorneys To Senior Associate
Aker Solutions Acquires Managed Pressure Drilling Specialist Managed Pressure Operations
Kanaly Trust to Enter Partnership with Lovell Minnick
Water Standard Sells Minority Stake to Mitsui as Mitsui makes its First Investment in EOR
BoyarMiller Represents GSL Welcome Group In The Purchase Of Tuscan Technology Center, Building 4, Austin, Texas
Gulfstar Group Announces the Sale of Lone Star Overnight
Gulfstar Group Announces the Sale of Delcor USA, Inc.
Austin Ventures invests $30million in Emerus Hospitals
Managed Pressure Operations Raises Growth Capital
BoyarMiller Represents Blackhawk Specialty Tools in Private Equity Investment
Beta International, Inc. Acquired in a Majority Recapitalization by Corinthian Capital Group, LLC
Houston’s Growing Pains
Houston — A Tale of Two Cities: Through the Looking Glass of Residents and Outside Investors
Houston Has Familiar Real Estate Outlook, Cautious Optimism
Space City: Houston City Council Approves a New Parking Ordinance
Texas Becomes 34th State to Prohibit Private Transfer Fees on Real Property
BoyarMiller’s “Houston Commercial Real Estate 2018 Outlook” eBook
BoyarMiller’s “Houston Commercial Real Estate 2017 Outlook” eBook
BoyarMiller’s “Houston Commercial Real Estate Markets in 2016” eBook
BoyarMiller’s “Houston Commercial Real Estate Markets in 2015” eBook
BoyarMiller State of the Capital Markets eBook 2014
BoyarMiller State of the Capital Markets eBook 2013