Founding Shareholder, Business Group
Gary W. Miller
Gary Miller’s practice includes extensive experience in mergers and acquisitions, capital formation, contract negotiation/documentation, lending, factoring and day-to-day representation of corporations and other business entities.
Areas of Focus
- Mergers & acquisitions
- Corporate law
- Corporate finance
- Lending & venture capital
- Camp for All “Made in Texas” Honoree (2012)
- Graduate of the University of Texas
Awards & Recognitions
- US News & World Report – Best Lawyers – Corporate Law, M&A Law and Venture Capital Law (2015-2020)
- Texas Super Lawyers (2005-2019)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rating
- Super Lawyers Magazine National Corporate Counsel Edition Business/Corporate Super Lawyer (2009)
- Texas Monthly Magazine Top 100 Texas Super Lawyers, Houston (2006)
Gary Miller's practice includes extensive experience in mergers and acquisitions, capital formation, contract negotiation/documentation, lending, factoring and day-to-day representation of corporations and other business entities.
He frequently participates in the organization and financing of business entities, as well as the negotiation and documentation of complex transactions.
Special components of Gary's practice include the representation of United Kingdom-based companies in Texas, insurance agencies and representing business sellers who are new to the process of working with attorneys in sophisticated transactions. His representative transactions include the sale of a Houston-based oil and gas service company to a purchaser based out of the United Kingdom, the purchase of a California-based project services company by a company headquartered in England, and the sale of an insurance services company to a public corporation. Gary enjoys developing strong relationships with his clients and he strives to make a difference in their business lives. He is AV-rated and a fellow of the Houston Bar Foundation.
- JD, University of Texas (with honors)
- BBA, University of Texas (with honors)
- Houston Bar Association, Fellow
- Texas Bar Association
- American Bar Foundation
- Houston Bar Association, Mergers & Acquisitions Section Counsel Member
- Camp For All Foundation, General Counsel and Member of the Executive Committee; former Board Chairman
- Congregation Beth Israel of Houston, Vice President of the Congregation's Endowment Board; Co-Chair of Legacy Giving Cabinet
- Shlenker School in Houston, former Member of the Board of Trustees and Executive Committee
- Center for Houston's Future, Business/Civic Leadership Class (2015)
- Represented an executive of a large corporation in connection with his employment relationship with his employer.
- Successfully negotiated resolution of complex, multi-million dollar dispute involving production of steel rig kits for use in offshore jack-up drilling rig application between an overseas steel mill, Houston-based steel fabricator, and offshore drilling systems provider in Mississippi.
- Represented a UK bank in connection with the United States law aspects of its loan, especially relating to securing the loan with assets in the United States.
- Represented a borrower in connection with the restructure of its $100 million loan with a banking institution.
- Represented an offshore drilling equipment manufacturer and supplier based in Jakarta, Singapore and Houston in the reorganization of its capital structure, including a $15 million capital infusion by a private equity group.
- Represented a Houston-based service company in connection with a $28 million majority recapitalization with a private equity firm.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Represented a minority owner of a food processing business in connection with the sale of that ownership interest to another owner of the business.
- Represented United Kingdom-based private equity group in its acquisition of substantially all of the assets of a Houston-based oil and gas services company.
- Represented parts distributor in the sale of substantially all of its assets.
- Represented the shareholders of a Houston-based electronics manufacturing company in connection with its sale to a strategic purchaser.
- Represented the shareholders of an oil tool company in connection with the sale of their shares for approximately $22 million plus shares of stock in the acquiring company.
- Represented a UK-based client in their acquisition of an oil and gas service company in California.
- Acted as U.S. counsel for a UK-based client in connection with the acquisition of an international company supplying rental equipment to the oilfield.
- Represented Leading Edge Turbine Technologies, Inc. and its shareholders in connection with the sale of its assets in January 2010 to Dresser-Rand Group Inc. for initial consideration of approximately $35 million. Leading Edge is headquartered in Houston, where it operates a service and repair facility for industrial gas turbines. The firm also assisted the shareholders in their employment contracts with Dresser-Rand.
- Represented Insurance Alliance and its shareholders in connection with the sale of the company to Marsh & McLennan Agency LLC. At the time of the acquisition, which closed in November, 2009, Insurance Alliance was one of the largest independent insurance agencies in Texas. The firm also assisted the shareholders in connection with their employment and producer agreements with the company. BoyarMiller first represented Insurance Alliance in connection with its initial formation in 1992, as a consolidation of four leading Houston independent agencies, and worked with the company from the 1990s through the recent sale.
- Represented a United Kingdom-based company in connection with its acquisition of substantially all the assets of a Houston-based service and repair company for $26 million.
- Represented C&J Cladding LLC, a Houston-based leader in providing technical welding solutions and post weld heat treatment services to global oilfield equipment manufacturers, in connection with the sale of its business and assets to Ellwood Group Inc., a Pennsylvania-based manufacturer and supplier of high-quality, engineered, heavy metal products.
- Represented GEM Insurance Agencies, a 60 year old Houston-based insurance agency, in connection with the sale of the business to BancorpSouth Insurance Services, Inc., based out of Tupelo, Mississippi.
- Represented Managed Pressure Operations, a developer of next generation technology for offshore managed pressure drilling systems for the oil and gas industry with subsidiaries in Houston, Singapore, Jakarta and Dubai, in the reorganization of its capital structure, including a $15 million capital infusion by a private equity group and its later acquisition by an affiliate of Aker Solutions.
Private Equity/Venture Capital
- Represented Blackhawk Specialty Tools, LLC, an oilfield services company headquartered in Houma, Louisiana, in connection with a private equity investment made by Rock Hill Capital Group.
- Represented a Houston based borrower in connection with a $30 million asset based loan from a banking institution.
Best Lawyers in America© 2019 Recognizes BoyarMiller Shareholders
BoyarMiller Attorneys Selected to 2018 Texas Super Lawyers and Texas Rising Stars Lists
Two BoyarMiller Client Transactions Named Finalists in ACG Houston Deal of the Year Awards
U.S. News – Best Lawyers® Recognizes BoyarMiller in 2018 “Best Law Firms” Rankings; Firm Achieves Houston Metro Tier 1 Real Estate Ranking for Four Consecutive Years
Four BoyarMiller Attorneys Selected to 2017 Texas Super Lawyers List
BoyarMiller Shareholders Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2018
Clients Honor BoyarMiller in BTI Power Rankings 2017 Independent Report; Cites Firm as Having “Strongest Client Relationships” in Energy Industry, Again
BoyarMiller Represented Cooper Valves in Acquisition Deal
BoyarMiller Represents Developers of Highly Anticipated Buffalo Heights
BoyarMiller Provides Legal Counsel to Healthy Connections Home Care Services in Acquisition by Option Care Enterprises
BoyarMiller Included on U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “2017 Best Law Firms” List for Seven Practice Areas; Firm Achieves Houston Metro Tier 1 Real Estate Ranking for Third Year
Private Equity, Slow Economic Recovery and Low Interest Rates Dominate Discussion at 2016 BoyarMiller Capital Markets Forum
BTI Power Rankings 2016 Names BoyarMiller as a “go to” Firm for Clients in the Energy Industy
Strong Demand, Excess Capacity Fuels Uncertainty in Oil and Gas Industry Cites Expert Panel at BoyarMiller Energy Forum
U.S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers® “2016 Best Law Firms” Ranks BoyarMiller in Seven Practice Areas
Robust M&A Activity, Aggressive Lending Practices Balance Capital Markets; Experts Reveal Reasons at 2015 BoyarMiller Capital Markets Forum
BoyarMiller Named to “2015 Best Law Firms” List for Two Practice Areas by U.S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers®
Texas Super Lawyers Names Five BoyarMiller Attorneys to 2014 Listing
BoyarMiller Attorneys Named among “Best Lawyers in America;” Bill Boyar, Gary Miller and Cassie Stinson added to 2015 Guide
Miller quoted in HBJ’s article “Foreign energy horde invades Houston “
Aker Solutions Acquires Managed Pressure Drilling Specialist Managed Pressure Operations
Camp For All Honors Gary Miller At “Made In Texas” Fundraising Event
BoyarMiller Attorneys Selected for Including in 2011 Texas Super Lawyers
Growth Capital Partners, L.P. Announce VLS Recovery Services, LLC. has Completed a Management Buyout
Managed Pressure Operations Raises Growth Capital
BoyarMiller Represents Blackhawk Specialty Tools in Private Equity Investment
Dresser-Rand Acquires Leading Edge Turbine Technologies, Inc.
Insurance Alliance Acquired By Marsh & McClennan Agency
BoyarMiller’s “Houston Commercial Real Estate Markets in 2016” eBook
BoyarMiller’s “The Energy Industry 2015: What’s Next?” eBook
BoyarMiller State of the Capital Markets eBook 2014
Why Risk It? Effective Non-Piracy Agreements Protect Your Business
BoyarMiller Energy eBook 2014 State of the Industry
BoyarMiller State of the Capital Markets eBook 2013
Texas is the Place – Business in the Lone Star State
Don’t Take It; It’s Mine: Enforceable Nonpiracy Agreements Protect the Business Interests of Both Agencies and Agents
Grounded in Our Core Values
Following a Structured Process Paves the Way for Selling a Business
Steve Kesten and Gary Miller have provided our firm with high quality legal and business advice for numerous complex private equity transactions. Their support and hard work has proved invaluable. We also rely on BoyarMiller as legal counsel to our management company. We moved our corporate work to BoyarMiller from a much larger international law firm. We haven’t been disappointed. The firm’s guidance has been timely, well considered and cost effective in all cases.